Monday, November 12, 2012

Sweet Potato.

This morning as I was thinking of making myself lunch, I noticed two large sweet potatoes or yams in my vegetable basket. They are one of my favorite things to eat. I got to thinking about when we were in grade school and had to go outside the building to eat our lunches. One of my little friends always brought baked sweet potatoes in her lunch. I always wished for that potato. Of coarse I didn't asked her for her lunch, but I did want it.

In the fall when we were all in the fields picking cotton, Mama would stay at home and prepare us a picnic lunch. I don't know how she could manage this, but she would bring a full cooked meal to the field. The thing I liked most was the baked sweet potatoes. That's why this morning I baked two nice big potatoes, and when they nice soft and juicy, I doused them with butter and ate one of them. So good!

The last time we were to see the Doctor,we ate lunch at a place where french fried sweet potatoes were on the menu as a side order. They were delicious. Mama use to make those, but not in strings like those were. There are so many ways to make sweet potatoes. I especially like the pies and candied potatoes.

Thanksgiving is just a couple of weeks away and I know there will be some kind of dish on the table that will contain this root crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment