Monday, October 15, 2012

Grandparents.

Most kids these days have grandparents that are still in their lives. I wasn't that lucky. All of my grandparents were dead before I was born. I've often wondered what my life would have been like or different if I had known then. They must have been wonderful people because they produced some very good parents for me.

My parents were good grandparents to all our children. If they were living today, I can't imagine how happy they would be to see what has grown off their tree. The little house they lived in when we were growing up would be overflowing. My Dad would say "Come on in.", and Mom would add more water to the gravy. It would be a fun time. They didn't come to see us, we went to see them. On Sundays when we went there Mom never knew how many she would be cooking for that day But we always had enough to eat.

Things changed in my generation. We went to see our grandchildren. We drove miles to be with them for a short week-end. They were what we lived for. When they visited us we were so excited to have them there. Now I watch my children take care of their grandchildren the same way. What a blessing?

It's always great to have them around on holidays and special occasions. But it would be greater if they were not so busy with their own lives that they would pick up the phone and say hello once in a while between visits. I do miss them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment