Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sewing machine

My grandmother New bought this sewing machine when my mother was seven years old. the year was
1902. She used this machine until her death. My mother then inherited it and used it to sew clothes for
all of her nine children and my father. She treadles away. She sewed all of our dresses and shirts for my father and brothers. I made my first dress on this machine. I was twelve years old.

If this machine could talk what a story it could tell. My mother lived a long life, she was ninety eight years of age when she died in 1993. I am now in possession of this beauty. It will always have a place in my heart and my living room.


6 comments:

  1. Yay! Great blog with the photo. Love you, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'd love to hear this machine tell some stories too! I've wondered if I could figure out how to use a treadle machine! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful vintage sewing machine! Saw your post at Junkin Joes party. I posted up cycled Halloween Banner. Swing by

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful history of your treadle machine, it really is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish all of these old machines could talk. The tales would be so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the stories this gorgeous machine could tell! Hugs and TFS!

    ReplyDelete